Saturday, 15 February 2014

Beauty Box 5 February 2014 Review

Well, what do we have here. It's BB5 time again, already!

Box Overview
Price: $12/month, $30/quarter, $99/year (shipping free + no duty fees to Canada)
Ships to: Lower 48 United States and Canada
What's inside: 4-5 samples of make-up & beauty products, nail products, skin care, hair care, fragrance, and so on.

First look
Wasn't really feeling this box when the spoilers first came out, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it, since I have yet to use the products. But look, it's their birth month! I feel you, BB5. It's exciting to turn another year older. Here's what came in the February Beauty Box 5: 


Rockstar Nails Polish 11 mL/0.37 fl oz + Rockstar Nails Sprinkles 13 g/0.45 oz || Value: $3.75
For the life of me I could not find a website supplying these polishes other than BB5's own. Their set of 4 polishes + 4 caviars is $14.99. I'm incredibly disappointed with the colours I got. Out of the set on BB5's website, I got the two I liked the least -- hot pink and bright pink. I would have loved the turquoise. I will be giving these to my mother, who owns a nail salon. I'm sure she'll appreciate it, because she doesn't have much caviar. 

H2O Plus SPA Hand and Nail Cream 30 mL/1 fl oz || Value: $2.50 
Fun fact: the 6 oz container of this product on the Canadian website is more expensive per ounce than the travel size. Why? No clue. Like the H2O body wash from the January box, this has fragrance high in the ingredients list, but not nearly as high (14th out of 34 ingredients). It goes on well, is not greasy and absorbs quickly. Although I'm still not a fan of the added fragrance, I'll still keep it on me for dry days. 

Pictured: not actually that big
Elizabeth Mott It's So Big Volumizing Mascara 4 mL/0.14 fl oz || Value: $8.48 
For something sporting this name, this mascara sure isn't big! I almost forgot about it because it was hidden underneath the grey paper stuffing (that's why it's not in the "first look" picture). Good thing the information card was there to remind me. 

I have to confess: I'm not a make-up person. That's part of the reason why I started subscribing to boxes like this, to introduce me to new things. So my opinion on this mascara? I don't know how to use it properly! It certainly made my lashes look a lot bigger, and there weren't huge clumps everywhere like I've gotten the last time I tried. It was very easy to take off and didn't leave big smudges while I was doing so. I'm going to need practice applying this, for sure. It's small size would be nice to fit into a make-up bag, if I had one. 


John Frieda Luxurious Volume Touchably Full Shampoo and Conditioner 8.3 mL/0.28 fl oz each || Value: $0.93 total 
What a name. These foil packets also each come with a $2.00 coupon for John Frieda Luxurious Volume styling products. It claims it will "transform fine hair" and give it volume. I would love to give it a try, since I have straight and flat Asian hair, but... you guessed it. Fragrance. But not only that. Take a look at the ingredients list for the shampoo (taken from John Frieda's website): 

WATER, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE, COCO-GLUCOSIDE, SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE, FRAGRANCE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, LAURIC ACID, POLYQUATERNIUM-7, BENZYL ALCOHOL, DISODIUM EDTA, LAURETH-16, MALIC ACID, POLYQUATERNIUM-52, CLYCINE, PEG-12 DIMETHICONE, PPG-0, SEA SALT, STEAROXYPROPYL DIMETHYLAMINE, C14-28 ISOALKYL ACID, ALCOHOL DENAT., AMP-ISOSTEAROYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN, C14-28 ALKYL ACID, METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, STEARYL ALCOHOL, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE.
 Though I haven't taken a look at every ingredient, right off the bat, sodium lauryl sulfate and fragrance are the 5th and 6th ingredients. Although I can live with fragrance when it's not high on the ingredients list, SLS is a huge no-no for me. Benzyl alcohol is okay in small amounts, but is the 10th item on the list so is something to be wary about. Later on the list is alcohol denat., which is also not good. Why companies put these chemicals in their shampoos that have been shown to dry out our hair and skin, I don't know.

Bonus: $10 Gift card to MyNameNecklace.com 
What a huge selection of jewelry options! Some of them are a decent price, and this gift card will help. I'm not sure if I'll get anything yet. 

This box's total value was $15.66, but I wasn't excited about anything inside it and will be giving most things away. I don't mind too much because I enjoy giving little gifts to friends and family, and I realize that my anti-SLS and anti-fragrance stance closes a lot of things off to me. I will try the John Frieda shampoo and conditioner, but I have a good feeling I won't like it. This box cost me $10 with the quarterly subscription, but if you consider the free January box I recieved, it was really $7.50. 

Have a good one!

No comments :

Post a Comment