Friday, 14 February 2014

Retroactive Review: Beauty Box 5 January 2014

 I first wanted to wait for the February box to come in and do a 2 part review like I did with Amoda Tea the other day. But I couldn't wait! 

Box Overview
Price: $12/month, $30/quarter, $99/year (shipping free, and no duty fees to Canada!)
Ships to: Lower 48 United States and Canada
What's inside: 4-5 samples of make-up & beauty products, nail products, skin care, hair care, fragrance, and so on. 

I received this box for free during a promotion BB5 had last month. I signed up for a quarterly subscription and they added this leftover January box for me.

First look

The products + information card
I received the following:

H2O Plus Spa Sea Lotus Body Wash 30 mL/1 fl oz || Value: $1.60
The value I've calculated was a bit higher than what the information card told me, because I decided to use the prices listed on the retailer's Canadian website ($20 for 12.5 fl oz). I haven't used this yet, and I'm not sure if I will. Fragrance is the fourth item on the ingredients list, and I try to avoid excessive fragrance in my everyday life, because it dries out my skin. When a product has more fragrance in it than the things it advertises (sea lotus, in this case), I am very concerned.

Jergens Daily Moisturizer 29 mL/1 fl oz || Value: $0.33
Again, fragrance high up on the ingredients list. This I have been using, because I have no travel-sized moisturizers at the moment and I figured fragrance-filled moisturizer is better than none at all in this cold, dry weather. It doesn't moisturize me very well as compared to others I've used, but it is handy.

Nubar Cuticle & Nail Oil 7mL/0.25 fl oz || Value: $5.00
This oil contains a mix of jojoba oil, safflower seed oil, and bran oil. I really like this! Most of the time I do not need cuticle oil, but during the busy days at work my cuticles can take a beating. I think it's expensive for what it is, though. You can get jojoba oil for about $10 for 3-4 ounces, and I'm almost certain that it would do the same thing as this oil, plus more -- jojoba oil is great for the skin. Still, the product is good. The brush could be softer, though.

Epic Blend Hemp Coconut Lip Balm One size || Value: $3.49
I. Love. This. Lip. Balm. I love everything about it.The company is based in Canada, they don't test on animals, and they are guaranteed gluten-, GMO-, and paraben-free. They have all sorts of flavours and use ingredients like organic beeswax and oils. No fragrance! However, there are "organic flavours" on the list and I'm almost scared to ask what that means. Either way, I love coconuts and this lip balm does a fantastic job of keeping my lips unchapped without being caked on. Epic Blend has a sale going on today for 25% your entire cart. Beauty Box 5 has teamed up with them for an Epic Blend giveaway. Check it out!

Swissco's gloves
Swissco Bath & Shower Exfoliating Gloves One size || Value: $4.00
I was really ready for these gloves, because my current ones are getting a little old. But I was very disappointed when I got them. They're so big and baggy! I do have small hands, but my other gloves (see below) are one size fits all and they are not uncomfortably big like these are. The wrist on Swissco's gloves are also tight and left a mark.Most importantly, Swissco's gloves are not nearly as exfoliating as the ones I already have. I need a lot of exfoliation for my body. I'll probably give these to someone else.

Bonus Product: That Awkward Moment Mirror Compact
Just a little compact with "That Awkward Moment" on it to promote Zac Efron's new movie. Durable and light, I'm sure it will come in handy eventually.


My gloves (from Shoppers Drug Mart)
In summary, I got $14.42 worth of products. I got this box for free with my $30/quarter subscription, but if I count it as an extra box that I am paying for then I got this for $7.50. I technically got double the value of the box, but I wasn't a fan of most of the products because they just didn't work out for me. Overall, though? I'm very happy simply because of the Epic Blend lip balm. It's that good. Everything else I am happy to gift to people that need them, and I am eagerly awaiting the February box that I should get in the next week. 

Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment