Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Beauty Box 5 March 2014 Review


Apologies for the later review! 

Box OverviewBox: Beauty Box 5 (Referral Link)
Price: $12/month, $30/quarter, $99/year (shipping free)
Ships to: Lower 48 United States and Canada
What's inside: 4-5 samples of make-up & beauty products, nail products, skin care, hair care, fragrance, and so on.

After a disappointing February BB5, I was hoping for a better March box. Things seem better this month! 


Bellapierre Cosmetics Makeup Base Full Size || Value: $18.99
This mineral makeup is paraben free! This is unfortunately a touch light on my skin tone, but I can usually get a nice compromise by mixing it with some of my current foundation. This base is supposed to "transform shimmery powders into matte, provides a waterproof base for pigments, and may be used as a concealer". It's very creamy, and the pot itself is surprisingly small. 



Tree Hut Shea Body Butter in Coconut Lime 60mL/2 oz || Estimated Value: $2.15
This body butter has added fragrance halfway down the ingredients list, as well as lime fruit extract. Lime extract, which I take to mean lime essential oil, is phototoxic -- it can produce skin irritation when exposed to light. (Un)fortunately, the smell of this body butter is so good, I can't help myself but use it on my hands and feet once in a while.

The size of this sample is good, and the butter is a semi-solid cream. It moisturises fairly well, though not as well as the straight shea butter I already own. However, it soaks in incredibly fast and doesn't leave my hands very greasy like most shea butter. This is probably because shea butter is not the primary ingredient in this.

H2O Plus Hand & Nail Cream 30mL/1 fl oz || Estimated Value: $2.50
How unfortunate, I got a duplicate product. I received this H2O Plus cream in February's box, just last month. That one is still three-quarters full, because I wasn't a fan. Luckily, BB5 has offered to send me a different product to replace this. Phew!


Swissco Dual-Sided Facial Pad One Size || Value: $2.00
This facial pad has a loofah on one side and terrycloth on the other. I love the idea of this, but the actual product itself could be better quality. The stitching is off along the border and the way the strap is placed makes it awkward when I want to switch to the terrycloth side; it contorts the pad. After some uses, the entire pad is rather crumpled looking. At first, the loofah side was far too rough, but it's been worn down and is now very nice. The terrycloth side is nice for washing off facial masks.

Jane's Pick All Natural Soaps Sample
This soap is their "Kind" edition, and uses orange, tangerine, and vanilla. The base is made of olive oil, shea butter, hemp seed oil, coconut oil, palm oil, and avocado oil. I don't particularly smell any orange, tangerine, or vanilla from this though; the hemp seed oil takes over. I don't like the smell, but its not noticeable after rinsing. This soap definitely cleans well, and doesn't appear to dry me out. I appreciate that they don't use sulfates or alcohols, instead opting to use natural oils. I'm worried that the orange and tangerine essential oils could be phototoxic, but I don't believe they use much, and I doubt that the oils would stay after I rinse off the soap.

The value of this box was $25.54, mostly due to the makeup base. With my quarterly subscription, I paid just $10. Aside from the H2O hand cream, I'm rather pleased with this box. I've been using the makeup base and facial pad nearly every day, and the soap sample is nice too. I really wish that the body butter didn't have so much fragrance in it, but at the same time, it's what I like the most about it.

Next month is my last month with my quarterly subscription, and I'll be receiving the 24Clearit program in lieu of my April box. Then I'll have to decide if I wish to keep subbing to BB5! I've had some ups and downs with them, but things seem to be getting a little better. I'll see what happens next month. 

No comments :

Post a Comment