Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Whimseybox February 2014 Review


When I saw the spoilers for the February Whimseybox, I was absolutely ecstatic. I was worried about getting a craft that I would hate, but this was exactly what I wanted and more.

Box Overview
Box: Whimseybox (Referral Link for $5 your subscription!)
Price: $15/month, $45/quarter, $90/6 months, $165/yearly ($13.75 per box); $5 shipping surcharge to Canada, no duties
Ships to: US and Canada
What's inside: A monthly craft project with all/most of the supplies to make it, an art print, and the occasional extra.

Whimseybox's packaging is some of the best around. The outer shell holds the inner box which is just pristine (no packing label!) and meant to be used as a storage box for your craft supplies or projects. Whimseybox even supplies a small label to help you organize, a lovely touch. 

The project this month was needle felting, as you can see by the extra little "Achievement Earned: Needle Felting" pin they added. Needle felting is something that I've really wanted to try but never had the materials to do. Earlier in the month we got the choice of "animal" or "plant" and I picked plant, not knowing how that would affect our projects.

Each month's instruction card is actually an art print. It's printed on a nice cardstock and inside are the instructions for the project. I dig the llama, but I wouldn't personally frame this print.

By picking plant, I got the turnip kit! The "animal" kit was a red robin, which I think I would have liked better. Oh well. This is still cute, and there's nothing keeping me from changing it up a little. I think I'll give the turnip a :3 face to make it super adorable.

The materials for the kit include a foam needle felting block, two felting needles (36 and 38 star), the felts needed to make the turnip, and a skewer to help make the tube-like turnip shoots. As an extra, Whimseybox threw in a small roll of washi tape! I am absolutely head over heels for Whimseybox because of this. I've been looking at washi tape for the past few weeks but wasn't sure if I wanted to make a purchase or not. Now I can try it and see what it's all about! It's also striped (my favourite pattern) and purple (my favourite colour). A box out for my own heart. 


My only complaint is that the gold paint on one of the needles is going to rub off (Whimseybox provided the washi tape to help us label the needles before this happens). I don't know much about paint, but couldn't there be some way to colour the needle permanently?

Otherwise, I am 100% happy with my Whimseybox and I can't wait to make this little turnip. Did you get a February Whimseybox? Which did you get? Let me know!

No comments :

Post a Comment