Saturday, 31 May 2014

Amoda Tea May 2014 Review


May was Amoda Tea's last month, as they've decided to stop sending their monthly tea boxes to work on a new big project. I was sad to see them go, but I'm excited to see what they come up with next. Here are the last teas of Amoda, from Nepali Tea Traders and JusTea.

Box: Amoda Tea
What’s inside: Three tea samples, enough to make 5-7 cups of tea


Handcrafted Oolong || JusTea
(Oolong tea)
This is "the world's first handcrafted and farmer direct Kenyan tea". This was hand-rolled four months ago (three months when I received this box), so it's very fresh. It can be resteeped 2-3 times. I love that JusTea tells the story of the man who made this tea (his name is Evans). I haven't tried this tea yet, because my boyfriend loves oolong tea and I'd like to keep it as fresh as possible until we're able to try it together.


African Chai || JusTea
(Black tea, all spice, gloves, fennel cinnamon, licorice, safflower, rose petals, ginger, black pepper)
Chai hails from India; this tea comes from Kenya, and uses an allegedly rare whole-leaf black Kenyan tea (as opposed to cut). Chai used to be my favourite kind of tea, but I unfortunately had a bad experience involving detergent in my drinking water while making some chai a few months ago and since then I've hardly been able to stomach it, or even smell it. I did try this, but was unable to finish because my stomach simply did not agree. I'm sure it's wonderful, though.  


Dhulagiri White || Nepali Tea Traders
(White tea)
Shamefully, this is my first real white tea that I've ever tried. What can I say? I'm a caffeine addict. I was surprised by how flavourful this tea was compared to the bagged white teas I've had. It's very light and fresh and easy to drink. This can be steeped multiple times; as its resteeped, it becomes more "vegetal" tasting. It's a "first flush", meaning that it of the first batch of buds picked once the spring begins. First flush teas are quite special in this way.

No comments :

Post a Comment