Monday, 19 May 2014

Ipsy May 2014 Review


It's my first Ipsy! After four months on their waitlist (I opted not to use the quick way in my advertising them on my Facebook), I finally got an e-mail confirming the start of my subscription for May. I spent some time looking at spoilers, and boy, was there a lot of potential items this month. This is my first bag, so I'm quite excited. I really like this month's bag design (they give you a new one each month). It's made of a tote-like material; I hope it's from recycled materials.

First look
Box: Ipsy (Referral link)
Price: $10/month, $110/year; $4.95 shipping to Canada
Ships to: North America
What’s inside: Various beauty product samples and full size products, very roughly personalized

As usual, estimated values are based off the price of the full sized item, from their respective store websites.


Boo-Boo Cover Up (Medium) Full Size || Value: $19.99 
Beneficial ingredients of note: beeswax, aloe extract, tea extract, tea tree leaf oil, chamomile extract, soybean oil, vitamin E
Detrimental ingredients of note: none
This concealer is all purpose, advertising to conceal acne, scars, new wounds, tattoos, and the like. It's full of great ingredients. This is the medium shade, and has quite an orange tint to it -- luckily, because of my heavy yellow undertones and darker skin, this is actually a pretty good match on my face! If anything, this is actually a touch light on certain parts of my body, like the arms. This is rather opaque, which is nice. I don't have very much experience with concealer so I don't know if this is better or worse than any other brands.


Pacifica Mineral Eyeshadow Duo (Opal and Celestial) 1.98g/0.07oz || Estimated value: $3.50
Beneficial ingredients of note: cocos (coconut)
Detrimental ingredients of note: none
Opal is a pinkish white colour with the lightest ever touch of shimmer. It would probably be good for highlighting the brows or inner eyes. Celestial is a pearly beige which I've found is difficult to notice in fluorescent lighting (but much better in natural light). I appreciate the small ingredients list.

Jersey Shore Sans Tan Anti-aging Sunscreen 14.7mL/0.5oz || Estimated value: $12.50
Beneficial ingredients of note: zinc oxide (25%) (non-nano), olive oil, beeswax, vitamin E, vitamin D3
Detrimental ingredients of note: none
Zinc oxide is a physical sunscreen, which means that it deflects the suns rays as opposed to absorbing them, as chemical sunscreens do. This means that it begins to work as soon as you apply it (no waiting 20 minutes like chemical sunscreens) and that you do not need to re-apply as often as chemical sunscreens, barring any contact with water or sweat. Zinc oxide is a pretty stable compound and is safe to use, even on infants. The set back is that even some high end physical sunscreens tend to leave a very noticeable white cast including this one. Some companies try to get around this by using nano zinc oxide particles, but there have been some health controversies surrounding them.

To reduce the white cast, I wait 20-30 minutes after applying moisturizer, pat the sunscreen on gently over my face to give an even application with no streaks, wait 20-30 minutes anyway, and stipple/press on my concealer and an opaque foundation (like a BB cream) with a sponge/brush/puff which is the same shade or darker than my natural skin tone. Some bronzer would do you well, too.


Eva NYC Mane Tamer Leave In Cream 100mL/3.38 fl oz || Value: $8.00
Beneficial ingredients of note: argan oil, keravis (hydrolyzed vegetable protein PG-Propyl silanetriol)?
Detrimental ingredients of note: parfum (6th ingredient), linallol, lilian & citral (last ingredients) 
This leave in cream smells absolutely delicious, like sugar or icing. I've found that it works very well to condition my hair, despite the fragrance which tends to dry my hair out. Be warned that the citrus enzymes in this conditioner may lighten hair if you go out in the sunlight within 8 hours of application.


Mee Beauty Bee Nourished Night Cream 7mL/.25 fl oz || Estimated value: $3.75
Beneficial ingredients of note: aloe juice, sweet almond oil, pure honey, vitamin E, avocado oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, black willow bark extract, neem oil, rosemary oleoresin (oil + resin)
Detrimental ingredients of note: none
What a fantastic ingredients list this thing has. Too bad it's such a tiny sample! With this, though, a little goes a long way. I was able to cover my entire face with a dollop and a half. Because of the honey, this cream was rather sticky and stayed that way the entire night. When I woke up, some of my hair was stuck to my face, still! This cream had no significant effects on my skin compared to other heavy moisturizers, but I like it quite a bit because of the ingredients list.

I was quite happy with my first Ipsy! I received $47 worth of product for about $15,and four out of five items had no detrimental ingredients of note, which means that I'm quite happy to use them! I thought the bag was super cute this month, too. I've heard that Ipsy can have its ups and downs, but this was definitely an up for this skin-care-obsessed Bunny.

No comments :

Post a Comment