Saturday, 3 May 2014

Memebox Review: Superbox #3 - Hydration Box


Superboxes are special edition Memeboxes that contain only full sized items. The Hydration Box promised to be “jam-packed with moisture-replenishing products”. Being the skin care fanatic as I am, I immediately picked this up. I've been using the products in this box for at least a month now, and I've been happy!



Box Overview
Box: Memebox (Global)
Price: $15 (for Memebox Mini), $23 (for Memebox Global or Luckybox), $23-$39 (for Nakedbox), $32-$70 (for Superbox), + shipping
Ships to: United States, Canada, and 29 other countries -- check here
What's inside: Korean beauty products. Specifics for each box may be found on their website.

As with all of my Memebox reviews, please note that ingredients of note do not reflect all ingredients, as some products come with very minimal English and translation is difficult. Values are taken from various websites as Memebox tends to inflate prices.




DKDN Real Lucent Super Aquasis Moisture Cream 50mL/1.69fl oz || Value: $15

Beneficial ingredients of note: Argan tree kernel oil, grape seed oil, aloe extract, tea tree oil
Detrimental ingredients of note: Lemon oil, lavender oil, peppermint leaf extract (all near end of list)
This cream is very liquid-y to the touch and spreads very well. I find it soaks in quickly but still leaves a touch of stickiness -- which can look a little dewy on the right day, and oily on the wrong one. Sometimes it will ball up into little blobs if I've used too much, keeping me from using it as a sleeping pack (as suggested). Still, I find that it gives me great moisture and it's very refreshing to use. I don't recommend using this before you go outside due to the lemon and lavender oils in it. The peppermint extract is so far down on the ingredients list that I don't think it could have a real detrimental effect, but still be cautious. 


LJH Dr.'s Care Vita Propolis Ampoule 15mL/0.5fl oz || Value: $28
Beneficial ingredients of note: propolis (50%), vitamin derivatives (10%), vitamin tree extract (10%)
Detrimental ingredients of note: none -- free of all major detrimental ingredients, including fragrances

Propolis is a substance that bees use to fill up little holes in the beehive when beeswax is not an option. There is a lot of controversy over its health benefits, and not too much evidence seems to have been gathered for its efficacy at treating any facial ailments other than cold sores. Read more about propolis here. This ampoule (basically a supercharged serum) is meant to be mixed with your moisturizer -- just a few drops is sufficient for the entire face. It has the consistency of diluted honey. I've not noticed any real improvements in my skin when using this. It's hard to separate the effects of the ampoule from the effects of my moisturizer.




PUREPLUS Hand Cream – Rose 30g x 3ea || Value: $11 x 3

Beneficial ingredients of note: shea butter (first ingredient), various plant extracts (including rose)
Detrimental ingredients of note: lime extract 
Other: mineral oil -- may be beneficial or detrimental depending on your skin type 
I was kind of disappointed when I saw that I got three of the same creams, especially when I found out that there are other scents in this line of hand creams. Still, this cream has been... handy. It comes out rather thick, but is easily spreadable and absorbs quickly into the skin, which is great because there's nothing I hate more than having my hands slip off everything after moisturizing. However, my fingers are oily after using this -- so I might be able to grab something, but I'll leave fingerprints all over it. There is a fairly strong rose scent to this, but I like that it's from the actual plant instead of artificial fragrance.  




JN Neoteric Mandarin Energy Facial Oil 35mL/1.18 fl oz || Value: $25
Beneficial ingredients of note: Mandarin essential oil, olive oil, argan oil, macadamia ternifolia seed oil, grapeseed oil
Detrimental ingredients of note: None
I love this oil. It soaks into my skin readily and doesn't leave it looking super greasy. It keeps my skin soft for a long time, too. That said, mandarin oil -- being a citrus oil -- should not be exposed to light, where its enzymes react and degrade the beneficial qualities of the oil as well as damage the skin. I have not had any major issues using it in daylight (this was before I realized that mandarin was a citrus fruit, oops), but to be on the safe side I recommend using it only at night, before bed.


MAGITREE The Mist 150mL/5.07fl oz || Estimated value: $12 (based on various sites) 
Beneficial ingredients of note: chamomile, aloe vera
Detrimental ingredients of note: grapefruit extract (first ingredient), peppermint oil, lavender oil -- no artificial colours or fragrance
Grapefruit is also a citrus fruit, and so caution should be taken if stepping outside after misting. I did not find the smell of this pleasant and so have declined to use it. I also think the detrimental ingredients outweigh the beneficial ingredients. It has gone in the trading pile. 
 

This box cost me $45.99, plus $6.99 for standard shipping, and I got over $100 in products. Even though I will not use the mist, the box makes up for it with the other four products, which I use nearly every day without any negative effects. However, the extra hand creams felt like a rip off to me, as they could have put in some different scents or an entirely different product to make up the rest of the value. Still, I'm happy.

Did you get the Hydration Superbox? Tell me what you thought! I'm especially curious about the effects of the Propolis ampoule. Hopefully it helped you more than it did me!  

No comments :

Post a Comment