Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Memebox Thefaceshop Superbox Review


Memebox reviews take me the longest to do because of the many products they manage to stuff into such a tiny box, and because of the difficulty of finding ingredient list information. They're a bit of a pain to review in such a way, so I tend to procrastinate on them... oops. Here's a box I've received quite a long time ago, Superbox - Thefaceshop Box! This box was for e-mail subscribers only. It includes only full sized items from Thefaceshop.

Box Overview
Box: Memebox (Global)
Price: $15 (for Memebox Mini), $23 (for Memebox Global or Luckybox), $23-$39 (for Nakedbox), $32-$70 (for Superbox), + shipping
Ships to: United States, Canada, and 29 other countries -- check here
What's inside: Korean beauty products. Specifics for each box may be found on their website.


Lovely ME:EX Lip Tint SPF 13 - Sweet Cherry || Value: $8.98
Beneficial ingredients of note: vitamin E, mango butter, ceramide?, rosehip oil, grape seed oil
Detrimental ingredients of note: probably fragrance, otherwise unknown
This lip tint is a bright pink colour that is easily buildable -- one swipe leaves a distinct, yet subtle brightness to the lips. It not only doubles but triples as a moisturizer and as sun protection, with a small yet important SPF 13. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any full ingredients list. There is likely fragrance in this, as it smells somewhat fruity/cherry-like. Still, I really like this! It actually keeps my lips well moisturized and I like the subtle colour it gives me.

Clean Face Oil-Free BB Cream || Value: $7.65 (on eBay)
Beneficial ingredients of note: chamomile extract, tea tree oil, honey extract, willow bark extract (all near lower half of list)
Detrimental ingredients of note: grapefruit peel extract (halfway through list), fragrance (near end of list)
Because of the grapefruit peel extract, I do not recommend using this on the skin due to its phototoxic properties. I found the colour to be quite grey on me -- this may work for those with paler skin. But the thing that really kills this product for me is that it broke me out, just a touch. However, it was on my nose -- a place I never, ever, ever get whiteheads. It was just a tiny one, but still concerning to me.


Lovely ME:EX Pastel Cushion Blusher - Peach || Value:~$7.00 (on eBay)
Beneficial ingredients of note: various flower extracts -- probably for colour
Detrimental ingredients of note: fragrance (end of list)
This blusher comes with a totally adorable puff with a little bow on it to hold on to. The cardboard packaging is a little off-putting in a quality sense, but I grew to like it -- the cuteness of it overcomes any qualms I have. The pigment on this is very, very subtle and very matte. Think a peach coloured pencil. I personally love this because I like subtle make up. Others may not for the same reason.

Lovely ME:EX You & Eyes - Sand Brown || Value:$3.90
Beneficial ingredients of note: see below
Detrimental ingredients of note: glass?
This eyeshadow is not so much sand brown so much as it is a rich, highly pigmented gold... with some brown in there. This is not a bad thing! It's quite beautiful, in fact, and applies easily. It purports to have "sebum controlling powder" in its ingredients, but I couldn't figure out which it was. And yes, glass is a listed ingredient in this eye shadow. Now, I know many products use silica and the like as ingredients for their glitter. It's just jarring to see glass instead of a more... scientific, friendly term!
I don't think this should be a major issue, but do be careful just in case, I suppose!


Face It Nails Holiday Love Edition || Estimated value: ~$5.00?
Beneficial ingredients of note: N/A
Detrimental ingredients of note: N/A
This is obviously a dated product. This box came out earlier this year, quite past the holiday season! It was difficult to find any information on it, as it seems to be discontinued for the moment. Either way, I don't wear nail polish and didn't want to open the packaging on this so I have no thoughts about it one way or another. I do wish that Memebox didn't send something that screams "leftovers", though.


Rice Ceramide Moisture Cream || Value: $16.90
Beneficial ingredients of note: rice extract, mineral oil (depending on skin type), shea butter, rice bran oil
Detrimental ingredients of note: grapefruit extract (near end of list), fragrance (end of list)
Ceramides, an essential part of the skin barrier, are a bit controversial right now in their efficacy as a skin care ingredient. Ceramides have been thought to be too large to pass through the skin and so should be ineffective at replenishing the skin. Some say that it can enter through hair follicles. Only more experiments will tell, I suppose! As far as I see, this is just your plain old moisturizer. Nothing special to it, except for a distinct, fresh smell. It soaks in neither quickly nor slowly, and is no better or worse than any of my other creams (though not as good as my facial oils). It's only the grapefruit extract that really grinds my gears.


Lovely ME:EX BeBe Lip Mask || Estimated value: $1.28
Beneficial ingredients of note: various flower extracts, shea butter (last ingredient)
Detrimental ingredients of note: none
This is a two-piece gel mask with one sheet for each half of the lips. It was very easy to place on my lips. I have perpetually dry lips (when not using my favourite Epic Blend lip balms), so while this did make my lips soft for a bit after taking it off, my lips were back to normal a few hours later.

Hyaluronic Acid Essential Mask Sheet || Value: $4.78
Beneficial ingredients of note: hyaluronic acid, algae extract, japonica bark extract
Detrimental ingredients of note: SD alcohol (third ingredient), grapefruit extract, fragrance, limonene
Hyaluronic acid is a major component of skin and is one of the biggest things in skin care at the moment. There are still many studies being done on this ingredient, though most have to do with injections instead of topical application. Still, results are looking good! I wouldn't go so far as to say that it has anti-aging properties, but hyaluronic acid does seem to show some healing and humectant effects on the skin. However, when SD alcohol is the third ingredient, there's no way hyaluronic acid (the ninth ingredient) will help. Many reviews I've seen report a "tightening" sensation after using this mask, which I also felt. This is without a doubt due to the drying effects of the alcohol, though the other ingredients of this mask help obscure this a bit. Thirty minutes after I took the mask off, I couldn't stand how tight and dry my skin felt to me and went to moisturize intensely. I was not a fan.

This box cost $39.00 plus $6.99 shipping, for a total of $46. I received about $55 of product, one of which was out of season. While I wouldn't say this box is a dud -- the moisturizer is fine for night use, and I love the lip tint, eyeshadow and blush -- it was certainly one of the lower valued boxes from Memebox. I think they should have put in more make up products, and less skin care products from this particular brand. All in all, not a terrible box, but not one that made me go *wow*, either.

No comments :

Post a Comment