Saturday, 14 June 2014

Beauty Box 5 June 2014 Review + $12 Coupon (Or one box free)


After cancelling my quarterly subscription and seeing the spoiler item for this box, I wasn't super excited. I'm happy to say that I was actually pleasantly surprised. Let's take a look at this month's BB5.

Box Overview 
Price: $12/month, $30/quarter, $99/year (shipping free)
Ships to: Lower 48 United States and Canada
What's inside: 4-5 samples of make-up & beauty products, nail products, skin care, hair care, fragrance, and so on.


Nicka K New York Nail Polish - Ripe Apple Full Size || Value: $4.99
Beneficial ingredients of note: none
Detrimental ingredients of note: isopropyl alcohol (likely required as a solvent and drying agent)
As I said, I wasn't really excited for this nail polish. Neither of the colours were interesting to me, and I don't really wear nail polish in the first place. I'll probably swap this or give this to my mother.

Glam Natural Mascara 3.7mL/0.125fl oz || Estimated value: $14.00
Beneficial ingredients of note: glycerin, safflower oil, jojoba oil
Detrimental ingredients of note: cinnamon leaf oil, curry leaf oil (last ingredients)
I haven't opened this because I already have several mascaras open right now. I like that it's very minimal and free of various harsh chemicals, but... cinnamon and curry oil? Do I really want this near my eyes in the first place? I've accidentally gotten curry in my eyes before, and let me tell you, it's not fun.


Organix Coconut Water Shampoo and Conditioner 7.4mL/0.25fl oz each || Estimated value:$0.30 total
Beneficial ingredients of note: coconut oil (in both)
Detrimental ingredients of note: fragrance (4th last ingredient in shampoo, last ingredient in conditioner)
I've seen this in the drug store and always wanted to try it, because I love coconut scented things, regardless of how much fragrance is in them -- it's my guilty pleasure. The shampoo's surfactant is ammonium lauryl sulfate, known to be much less harsh than the oft-used sodium lauryl sulfate. Unfortunately, this shampoo still stripped my hair a bit, leaving it strangely squeaky when I washed it. The conditioner did a good job of making my hair feel normal again, but just in case I did throw in my own leave-in after I stepped out of the shower. It smelled delicious while it lasted, but I wouldn't buy the shampoo on my own.

Vitabath Body Wash - Wild Red Cherry 60mL/2fl oz || Estimated value: $1.32
Beneficial ingredients of note: niacinamide, wild cherry fruit extract?, aloe, various other fruit/flower extracts, coffee extract?
Detrimental ingredients of note: fragrance (fifth ingredient)
I was worried about the amount of fragrance in this when I looked at the ingredients list, and oh boy, does this smell like cherry. Overwhelmingly so, in fact. I don't think I'd be able to use this at all because I don't love cherries as much as I love coconuts. 


Eslor Soothing Refiner & Cleanser 5mL/.17fl oz || Estimated value: $2.33
Beneficial ingredients of note: aloe, glycerin, coltsfoot extract, hops extract, rosemary leaves extract, sage leaves extract, carrot extract
Detrimental ingredients of note: fragrant oil (last third of list)

Eslor Soothing Cream 5mL/.17fl oz || Estimated value: $6.50
Beneficial ingredients of note: aloe, almond oil, avocado oil, wheat germ oil, hazelnut oil, various flower extracts, live yeast cell derivative, carrot oil
Detrimental ingredients of note: orange peel extract

Eslor Replenishing Scrub 5mL/.17fl oz || Estimated value: $2.80
Beneficial ingredients of note: aloe, various flours and meals from things like wheat and corn, oatmeal, honey, hops and arnica and horsetail extracts
Detrimental ingredients of note: fragrant oil (fourth last ingredient)

Eslor Comforting Mask 5mL/.17fl oz || Estimated value: $3.80
Beneficial ingredients of note: aloe, kaolin, glycerin, seaweed extracts, zinc oxide, sweet almond oil, avocado oil
Detrimental ingredients of note: fragrant oil

Though I haven't been able to use all of these yet, I'm very pleased with the ingredients lists. I've tried the soothing cream and though it goes on thick and creamy, it soaks in rather well and does not irritate my face at all, even the sensitive parts. I'm excited to try the other packets in time. They're surprisingly full of product, and I suspect that each should last me at least 4-5 days each.

This box cost me $10 with my quarterly subscription, and I received over $35 worth of product, a great value. I loved that BB5 took an approach to products this month that were free of harsh chemicals as opposed to previous months. I still don't regret cancelling my subscription, as I think I will only truly like the Eslor products, with the rest being okay or not something I would use.

To get a free introductory box with a monthly subscription, or $12 either a quarterly or yearly subscription, use the code FREE614 before the end of June. Please consider using my referral link while you're there!

No comments :

Post a Comment