Saturday, 21 June 2014

Golden Tote June 2014 Review


I was very surprised when this came to my front porch. Firstly because I don't remember getting my tracking number for this tote, and secondly because I got hit with customs! My first $149 in April didn't get hit with customs, and my second $49 tote in May was sent to my boyfriend's house in the U.S. so I didn't have to deal with them there. But oh boy, they caught me this time. This $149 tote, in addition to the $25 shipping, netted me an extra $31 in duty fees. That's a $205 tote, for anyone counting.

Box: Golden Tote (Referral link)
Price: $49 (1 chosen item + 1-2 surprise items), $149 (2 chosen items + 3-5 surprise items), ($25 flat rate international shipping)
Ships to: International
What’s inside: Clothing


At the very least, I wasn't shortchanged on the number of items in this tote. $149 totes come with 5-7 items in total; I received 6, which is the usual number. I also picked some pricier items this month, which will help bring up the value of the tote. Let's take a look! I was able to pick two items from their Golden Tote's June line, and four items were surprises.


Whisked Away Dress by Collective Concepts || Value: $70
This was my first pick, one of the few items that came in an XS. I still think it's just a touch too big for me, but I've had a few people say that it looks just fine. It's rather comfortable and easy to put on, and the bottom is lined. It ties at the waist, there's no elastic. The material is thin but opaque, so it'll be nice for the summer.  


Crochet Lace Romper by re:named || Value: $68
My second pick, and one of the first rompers I've ever owned. Took me a while to figure out how to get in this... but it was comfortable once I put it on! I wasn't sure if the crochet lace would hold up, but it seems to be sturdy enough for everyday use. The fabric is not completely opaque, unfortunately. I like that the shorts are longer than most I've seen. And it has pockets!


Black Simple Knot Top by Esley || Estimated value: $25?
Esley is a company which appears to sell clothes primarily by whole sale, so I wasn't able to find a price on this shirt. It's 100% cotton, very thin and light. It's styled with a sort of knot at the collar. This shirt completely overwhelms me although it's a size small. I also have a similar shirt. I've put this up for trade.


Printed Slouchy Pants by Priddy (Puella) || Estimated value: $40?
Pardon the bralette! I have no idea what I would wear with these pants. They are certainly very slouchy. Maybe a little too much. They hang loosely above my hips, but are too long to wear any lower (I think they're meant to be above the hips, anyway). Apparently, steaming the band carefully using an iron placed a few inches above it will shrink it up an inch or two, which I may try. I'm very on the fence about these pants. Printed pants are a new territory for me, much less pants that remind me of pajamas. Perhaps I'll wear these on exam days?


Nautical Top by Porridge || Estimated value: $35?
I love the print on this top. I like the neckline, although you can see that it's pretty wide and shows off my bra straps in the back (oops!). It's a bit big on me, but I think it will shrink if I wash it carefully with warm water. I wish it was a different material, though -- I hate ironing. 


Geo Print Dress by Fantastic Fawn || Value: $44
I love this dress. It hits me at my natural waist, and just above the knees. I don't necessarily need to wear a belt with it, which is good because I can get lazy in the morning with my clothing choices. It's got a cool print without being too crazy for my tastes, and it has teal on it (one of my favourite colours, because it reminds me of my boyfriend... as corny as that is). It has sleeves so I don't need to worry about strapless bras or anything like that. It's opaque and yet very thin and light material (with lining on the bottom). Best of all? It has pockets! This dress made my tote, I think.

Altogether I spent 149 tote+25 shipping+31 duty fees = $205 for this Golden Tote (plus a little extra for conversion to CAD). Was it worth it? Well, I got over $250 worth of clothing, even if I don't count the shirt that I put up for trade. Although I probably wouldn't pay full price for most of these items, I love that Golden Tote gets me items that I couldn't get anywhere in my city, and I love the surprise factor. The community is pretty great, too! So to me, this tote was definitely worth my money, even if I got caught with duty fees.

No comments :

Post a Comment