Wednesday, 25 June 2014

Ipsy June 2014 Review


This marks my second month with Ipsy! After a fantastic first month, I was anxious to see what I got this month. This month, the bag displays a floral-y, tropical pattern. It's not my first choice of bag, but I plan to use this to hold make up at home in an attempt to organize. Ipsy does minimal "matching", but for the most part I believe they use a variety of pre-curated bags. Let's see what I got!

Box: Ipsy (Referral link)
Price: $10/month, $110/year; $4.95 shipping to Canada
Ships to: North America
What’s inside: Various beauty product samples and full size products, very roughly personalized


Jesse's Girl Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner Full Size || Value: $6.99
Beneficial ingredients of note: none
Detrimental ingredients of note: none
This eyeliner claims to reference Japanese calligraphy brushes in order to create a liquid eyeliner applicator which can go on delicately and precisely, with lines down to 1 mm thick. I find these claims to be true -- this applicator is incredibly fine. The eyeliner is a pitch, pure black. My only issue, I believe, is my inexperience. I simply do not know how to apply this eyeliner well! That's what practice is for, though. I'm happy to try this.


Marc Anthony Dream Waves Beach Spray 45mL/1.52fl oz || Estimated value: $2.53
Beneficial ingredients of note: n/a
Detrimental ingredients of note: fragrance (last half of list)
This spray primarily uses magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) in order to make one's hair scrunchable and get that beach wave look going on. Some find that using magnesium sulfate can dry the hair out, so I don't advise using this every day! This spray smells like coconuts -- pina coladas, really. And if you've been reading this blog a while, you know that I love coconuts, enough to abstain from my hatred of added fragrance in products. That said, my hair is infamous for not being able to hold a curl. I've tried this spray on both damp and dry hair, held it up in a messy bun for over a minute to try and get those scrunches to stick, and... no dice. The smell also dissipated within an hour or two. Oh well. Maybe one day I'll try using the entire can and see if that works.

NYX Butter Gloss - Creme Brulee Full size || Value: $5.00
Beneficial ingredients of note: mineral oil (may be comedogenic to some) (first ingredient), beeswax (third ingredient)
Detrimental ingredients of note: fragrance (last half of list)
As I'm currently abstaining from frequent use of lip products, I haven't been able to try this much. This colour is a "natural" colour but doesn't look very natural on my lips, since I have darker lips... naturally. In a thin layer, it does look more natural, lightening my natural lip colour or lipstick/stain somewhat. As the name implies, it goes on very buttery; the doe-tip applicator helps immensely. I haven't fallen in love with this (primarily because of the colour, and because I tend to not like lip glosses), but since it is a lip gloss that doesn't leave my lips looking like they're twice the size, I'm willing to give it a shot.  


Skinn Olive & Enzyme Cleanser 58mL/2.0oz || Estimated value: $12.00
Beneficial ingredients of note: safflower oleosomes (second ingredient), sunflower seed oil (third ingredient), papaya enzymes?, olive oil, avocado oil
Detrimental ingredients of note: orange fruit extract (first ingredient)
What would be a really amazing cleanser/mask ended up disappointing me when I saw that orange fruit extract was the first ingredient. Citrus fruits on the face are something I am still highly disapproving of! I trust that Skinn has accounted for the pH levels of this formula, so that it is not too acidic, but orange extract still contains phototoxic enzymes. I've yet to use this because I haven't found the time to stay indoors out of the sun after using this as a mask. Sorry, all! I've got places to be, no time for phototoxic enzymes causing me skin irritation!

One product for which I do not have a product picture (you can see it in the first look picture) is the...
Be a Bombshell Lash Out Mascara Full Size || Value: $15
Beneficial ingredients of note: n/a
Detrimental ingredients of note: n/a
The ingredients in this mascara are the following:
acrylates copolymer, deionized water, talc, cera alba, propylene glycol, copernicia cerifera wax, stearic acid, magnesium aluminum silicate, polysorbate 80, propylparaben, methylparaben, ci 77499
Nothing too scary, right? Why then, is this not like my usual product reviews? Well, when I and many other Ipsy subscribers opened this mascara up, an immediate, acrid smell was noticed. Though this mascara does not contain added fragrance, I've had similar mascaras which do not smell nearly as bad as this does. Some people have reported allergic reactions to this mascara. Please use with caution. Or don't, because I found that this mascara wasn't all that great in the first place. It has a dry formula, and only lengthened by lashes -- no thickening. It was completely average.

Now, I am not a chemist, please keep that in mind. But one possibility I have found as an amateur on the Internet is that it may be the acrylates copolymer, a common ingredient in cosmetics and especially mascara, that is causing these issues. This source states that the monomer of acrylates copolymer (basically, the building block of the molecule) is a nasal irritant. It states that when formulated well, the amount of acrylates monomer in a cosmetics product should be too low to be noticeably irritating. Perhaps there is more acrylataes monomer in this mascara than there should be, for whatever reason?

Be a Bombshell has responded that this batch of mascara is safe to use, but do be careful. It is better to be safe than sorry, especially since this is by no means an expensive subscription. If you are nervous about this mascara, just throw it out. That is what I have done (thus the lack of picture). 

This subscription is about $15 for a Canadian subscriber like me, and I received about $40 worth of product. Unfortunately, the $15 mascara which I've decided to throw away makes up much of that value -- so truly, this bag has a $25 value to me. I haven't fallen in love with any of these products (except for the smell of the hair spray), but at the same time I'm happy to try them because I've not had experience with these sorts of items. I'm still excited to be subscribing to Ipsy and will continue to do so.

No comments :

Post a Comment