Wednesday, 10 September 2014

Memebox Special #10 Mask 4 Review


I have a Memebox problem. A big Memebox problem. A problem so big that it ends up with me stockpiling over a dozen Memeboxes that I mean to review, but can't get to due to the difficulty of getting accurate ingredient information to inform you, my dear readers.

But hey, gotta start somewhere. I have older boxes and newer boxes, but let's begin with a slightly more recent Memebox -- Special Memebox #10, Mask 4. I've reviewed Mask 2 before, which I loved. I had high expectations for this one, too.

Box Overview
Box: Memebox (Global)
Price: Varies, typically $19-40 plus $6.99 shipping
Ships to: United States, Canada, and over 40 other countries -- check here
What's inside: Korean beauty products. Specifics for each box may be found on their website.

As always, values are based off the lowest value I can find on a fairly reputable website -- as Memebox tends to inflate their retail prices.


Skin Factory 7 Seconds morning Sheet Full Size || Value: $29
Beneficial ingredients of note: niacinamide (fifth ingredient), urea, various plant extracts
Detrimental ingredients of note: wine extract (third ingredient), sake, fragrance
This pack of 20 sheets act as a "7 in 1" product that is to be used after cleansing. It apparently tones, whitens, has anti-wrinkle effects, hydrates, primes the skin for makeup, and basically everything else under the sun. The ingredients list on this product is massive. It contains some really great plant extracts and one of my new favourite ingredients, niacinamide. However, one of the main ingredients is wine extract AKA alcohol, and several other drying alcohols (such as sake, made from fermented rice) are added along the way.

One of the big selling points of this product is that it contains "real platinum". This can be found in the ingredients list as "Saccharomyces/platinum filtrate". Saccharomyces is a type of yeast which has a good capacity to uptake platinum. I was not able to find the mechanism by which this platinum can then be absorbed by the skin, nor could I find significant evidence that platinum actually does much for the skin at all! It may, for all intents and purposes, be the yeast that has positive effects on the skin, or perhaps the alcohol produced by said yeast.

Due to the amount of different drying alcohols in this product, and the sheer amount of ingredients, I was worried that I would react poorly to these sheets, and have since traded it. That said, I've heard amazing things about this product from others who have tried it.


Purederm Vitamin C Facial Pads Full size || Value: $7.25
Beneficial ingredients of note: aloe, portulaca extract, gingko biloba extract
Detrimental ingredients of note: orange extract (fourth ingredient)
These super-cute facial pads have orange slice designs on them, and smell just like orange candy. They suggest putting these in the fridge before using for a refreshing sensation. These aren't the most exciting or high-end pads out there, with a pretty short ingredients list. The critical ingredients in these would be the glycerin, a humectant; aloe, which soothes and hydrates the skin; and orange extract, which brightens the skin and contains antioxidants. Orange extract, as loyal readers will know, is also phototoxic. Therefore, these pads should be used only when you expect to be away from sun exposure for at least 12 hours. I'm personally not a fan of spot masks like this, and the ingredients list doesn't entice me enough, so this is in my trades at the moment.


When 10:00 PM Mask Full size || Value: $8.99 each
Beneficial ingredients of note: grapefruit seed extract?, bamboo extract, pine extract
Detrimental ingredients of note: melon fruit extract?, fragrance (near end of list)
When Travelmate Mask Full size || Value: $8.99
Beneficial ingredients of note: sodium hyaluronate, grapefruit seed extract?, bamboo extract, pine extract
Detrimental ingredients of note: colloidial platinum?, fragrance (near end of list)
These masks can be found at Sephora. It's nice to try out something from Memebox that I can actually get on a regular basis. These masks have a bad habit of "science-ifying" everything up -- they just couldn't help but put the scientific names of all of their extracts in the ingredients lists without putting the common name! Anyway, these are masks made of coconut ferment, resulting in a hydrogel-type mask which sticks to the face like none other. The Travelmate mask has platinum in it, too! I'm just weary of putting random metals on the face, I guess.

I've only used the 10:00 PM mask, which I found to be alright. Certainly not worth $9 when I can get Leaders InSolution for $3-$4 a piece. I didn't find it as hydrating as other masks can be (even sheet masks), and it actually left my face sort of tingly. There was no apparent tightening (in the good sense) or brightening.


SLC Skin Clinic Essence Sheet Mask Effects Plus Full size x 3 || Estimated value: ~$5 each
Waterdrop Mask (Green)
Beneficial ingredients of note: witch hazel extract, sodium hyaluronate, red ginseng extract, aloe
Detrimental ingredients of note: grapefruit extract, fragrance (last ingredient)
Energizing Mask (Pink)
Beneficial ingredients of note: witch hazel extract, sodium hyaluronate, acerola extract?
Detrimental ingredients of note: grapefruit extract, ethanol (last half of list), fragrance (last ingredient)
Repair Mask (Purple) 
Beneficial ingredients of note: witch hazel extract, sodium hyaluronate, collagen, centella extract, black soybean
Detrimental ingredients of note: grapefruit extract, pomegranate extract, fragrance (last ingredient)

I was a little annoyed that Memebox put in three of the same item, but it turns out that they counted all three of these as one item, which I am actually quite happy about! These masks are pretty similar except for some key ingredients here and there. Only the energizing mask has alcohol, which I suppose is because they want that mask to dry quickly so you can get on your way. I've yet to try these masks out, because their citrus extracts prevent me from using them in the morning (it is best to use citrus extracts at night, as they are phototoxic -- you should stay away from the sun).


Sua Young Berristure Facial Cream Full size || Estimated value: $40.00
Beneficial ingredients of note: niacinamide, blueberry extract, acai palm extract, grape seed oil, oat kernel extract, tomato extract, aloe, several other berry and plant extracts
Detrimental ingredients of note: fragrance (upper half of list), some citrus fruit extracts (end of list)
This cream has a huge ingredients list! While many of them are extracts from fruits and other plants, a lot of them in the upper half of the ingredients list are preservatives and such -- not that there's anything wrong with that. But the berries this cream touts? The vast majority of them are at the very end of the list, meaning that there's proportionally very little of them. The only berry that is near the top of the list is the blueberry extract.

This cream is a lightweight gel with some black bits inside, akin to a light strawberry jam. It smells amazing, but certainly because of the added fragrance. It comes with a spatula in order to keep from contamination, which is much appreciated. I believe that this is supposed to be more of a cream than a sleeping pack, but it can also be used as a wash off mask. It's pretty expensive for that purpose, though! The vast majority of gels are not as hydrating as most creams, and I don't think this is any exception. I wouldn't buy this on my own, as the price -- in my opinion -- is far more than the benefits this gives. It must be one of the best smelling products I've ever received, though.

This Mask box by Memebox contained over $100 worth of product, though nearly half of that was due to the Berristure cream. Even without the cream, I received double of what I paid for this box (roughly $26 including shipping, after using a coupon). I find the Mask boxes to be one of the highest value Memeboxes around, and if you love masks like I do, I highly recommend picking one up.

No comments :

Post a Comment