Tuesday, 14 October 2014

Ipsy October 2014 Review


Another month, another Ipsy -- and I feel like the craze has died down a bit? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like left and right people have been dropping Ipsy for boxes that aren't subscriptions -- for instance, Golden Tote or Memebox (referral links). It may be that these services give a bit more semblance of choice, or more bang for your buck. Still, Ipsy is a nice pick-me-up in the mail, since I don't have to sign for it! 

Box: Ipsy (Referral link)
Price: $10/month, $110/year; $4.95 shipping to Canada
Ships to: North America
What’s inside: Various beauty product samples and full size products, very roughly personalized

Look at the bag this month. It's teal. I love teal. It's made of a durable plastic with a fabric lining. It doesn't seem like it will hold a whole bunch (for example, it didn't hold the wipes along with the other products), but... it's teal. Regardless of how the items turn out, I'm A-OK with Ipsy this month.


City Color Be Matte Lipstick in Cappuccino Full Size || Value: $5
Beneficial ingredients of note: mineral oil (first ingredient)
Detrimental ingredients of note: none
I'm pretty sure nude lipsticks are the bane of my existence. They always make me look washed out and unkept. I've yet to find one for me. This lipstick looks less brown and muted than other nudes I've seen, but until I see swatches on people with similar skin tones as me, I'm not taking my chances -- this goes directly into the trade/gift bin.

Jesse's Girl Mineralized Baked Shadow Powder in Esmeralda Full Size || Value: $3.99
Beneficial ingredients of note: mineral oil
Detrimental ingredients of note: none
This shadow has some beautiful packaging. It is physically raised in a dome shape to give an even more planetary look to it. Yet I was also pretty disappointed with this colour, as other colours available (Plum Frost, Rosemary Frost, Ocean Breeze, Graphite Frost, Kiwi Shine) seemed so much more vibrant and beautiful. I was pleasantly surprised, though. Here, some swatches (primer is Bellapierre Make-up Base):


The pictures really don't do it justice. It's a bit of a mix of white, light gold, reddish brown, and taupe (thanks to the mix of the two). It even seems a bit green at some angles. It's a difficult colour to place, even in the pan. Though it is pigmented enough to use without primer (the colour just doesn't show up well on my skin), primer is definitely suggested to get the most out of this shadow. I'm generally pleased with this, though I'm not sure how I'm going to work this into any looks.


Skyn Iceland Mini Glacial Cleansing Cloths 5 Cloths || Value: ~$5
Beneficial ingredients of note: sodium lauroamphoacetate, aloe juice (seventh ingredient), various fruit, vegetable, and flower extracts, jojoba oil, willow bark extract
Detrimental ingredients of note: some citrus enzymes (end of list), parfum (last ingredient)
I'm just not a fan of facial wipes. I will use them as a pre-wash before my double cleanse, effectively washing my face three times... if I counted them as washing my face. To be honest, I find facial wipes useless. These wipes, which use sodium lauroamphoacetate (a very gentle cleansing ingredient) are somewhat unique to other wipes I've used in that they actually have a soapy texture to them, instead of being seeped with liquid. I used one wipe on my arm in ten circular motions to try and get off the eyeshadow.

Can you still see the eyeshadow gleam? I can. The wipe effectively pushed the produce all along my arm. It took another 10-20 wipes to clean the swipe of eyeshadow off, and there's still some leftover particles. I can't say I'm super impressed with it's cleaning power. However, it felt very refreshing and light.


KISS iENVYbyKISS Lashes in Au Naturale 02 Full Size || Value: $2.99
Beneficial ingredients of note: N/A
Detrimental ingredients of note: N/A
What am I supposed to say about this? They're fake lashes. I don't wear them. It's kind of creepy that they use real human hair, when you think about it, but it also makes sense. It comes with its own glue, which is nice. I'm not going to use this.

Figs & Rouge Hand Cream in Rose Berry Full Size || Value: ~$6.30
Beneficial ingredients of note: shea butter (fourth ingredient), cocoa nut butter (halfway through list), algae (last half of list), ginseng root extract (last half of list)
Detrimental ingredients of note: parfum (halfway through list)
I was sad that I didn't get the other scent option for this hand cream, Mango Tangerine! I guess it's for the better, since I like to avoid citrus extracts. This cream actually smelled quite nice, too -- neither the rose nor the berry scent overwhelmed the other, and the smell wasn't overwhelming in general. I was surprised at how quickly this soaked in. It was basically like putting water on my hands. Unfortunately, it still leaves quite a residue on my keyboard, phone, etc. It will be a perfect hand cream for work.

This month's Ipsy contained four full sized products and one travel sized product for a total of approximately $23. I paid $15 for this, so the value is underwhelming when not considering the bag, which is at least $10. I love the bag, and that makes this month worth it to me. Otherwise, I'm not overly impressed by any of the products. I'm not using the lipstick nor the eyelashes, and the wipes will be relegated to wiping off swatches I make for reviews. The eyeshadow is nice but difficult for a eye-makeup newbie like me to handle, and the hand cream is good but doesn't overcome the rest of the products.

It seems that I too am falling out of love with monthly subscription services. No plans to cancel Ipsy yet, but we will see what the future holds in store.

No comments :

Post a Comment