Monday, 17 November 2014

Ipsy November 2014 Review


Box: Ipsy (Referral link)
Price: $10/month, $110/year; $4.95 shipping to Canada
Ships to: North America
What’s inside: Various beauty product samples and full size products, very roughly personalized

This month's Ipsy features a glittery silver bag. The bag itself is actually coated in plastic so there's no fallout nor that gross sandpaper feeling. It's not my style though... but how about the products?


be delectable from Cake Beauty ultra nourishing hand cream in Coconut and Cream 60mL/2fl oz || Value: $6
Beneficial ingredients of note: glycerin (second ingredient), coconut oil (halfway through list), shea butter (halfway through list), coconut extract (last half of list), aloe juice (last half of list)
Detrimental ingredients of note: fragrance (first half of list; 9th ingredient)
I don't usually list glycerin as a beneficial ingredient even though it is, because it's so commonplace in any skin care item. The fact that I did is because this hand cream doesn't have much else going for it. There is more fragrance in this than coconut oil or shea butter! I could smell this through the packaging. Luckily, I got one of my favourite scents ever -- super sweet coconut. That alone is enough to make me use this, but not as intended. By my standards, this is not a hand cream, but a fragrance. It is ridiculous how strongly this smells. If I ever want to smell like coconut (which I do, all the time), I will use this. But only a little bit.


GLAMGLOW POWERMUD DUALCLEANSE TREATMENT 30ml/0.5fl oz || Value: $20.30
Beneficial ingredients of note: bentonite (second ingredient), witch hazel water (fourth ingredient), kaolin, niacinamide
Detrimental ingredients of note: plenty of potentially irritating botanicals, including lavender extract; fragrance (second last ingredient)
Oh, Glamglow. This is my first Glamglow product because I've hesitated to dig a hole in my pocket. $20 for this little sample! A lot of people really love this brand, but many argue that you can make the same at home without the added preservatives, botanicals, and fragrance. I agree, but there's something about the brand name which makes me so curious! I don't think I'll ever splurge on it myself, but I'm glad that I can try it now. I'm saving this mask-type cleanser for a pampering day.


Starlooks Gem Eye Pencil in Ultra Orchid Full size || Value: $17
Beneficial ingredients of note: none
Detrimental ingredients of note: none
I'm still a newbie to Starlooks, so while some are tired of this brand, I am absolutely not. I've been thinking about getting into coloured eye liners lately, and I got my favourite colour -- a deep purple. It's faintly shimmery, maybe with a hint of glitter. I can't wait to gather up the courage to try wearing it out. 

 J. Cat Beauty Wonder Lip Paint in Mad Splatter || Value: $4.99
Beneficial ingredients of note: none
Detrimental ingredients of note: parfum (second last ingredient)
This is my first lip tar, and such an affordable one! Others I've seen, such as the famous OCC lip tars, are quite expensive, even as samples. A tiny dot of this managed to produce the swatch below, which means this will last me just about forever. It will be great practice for me to decide on whether I'd like more of the same.

Be a Bombshell Eye Base in Submissive Full size? || Value: $14?
Beneficial ingredients of note: None
Detrimental ingredients of note: None
With nothing to compare it to, and no weights listed on the BaB website, I have no idea if this is full size or not! This is 0.09 oz, or 2.55 g. There have been a lot of complaints about this company concerning quality control. The mascara from a few months ago in particular was pretty rancid, if I remember correctly. This eye base seems totally fine in quality and its colour -- a subtle, shimmery taupe-brown -- is a good neutral. The fact that it comes from a company I'm not a fan of is clouding my opinions, though. I'm not sure if I will use this yet, since I have plenty of neutrals already.

Top to bottom: BaB, Starlooks, J. Cat
When I swiped this swatch with a finger before completely dry, the eye base proved itself to have zero staying power. I'm worried about how well it would stay on my eyes, which are quite oily. There was shimmery goodness all over my arm that would move everywhere, but not come off. It was basically gone after a quick hand wash. The eye pencil stayed very well; there was some smudging with my finger but it proved to be decently waterproof. The lip paint, after initial smudging due to not being dry, had incredible staining. After three hand washes and a shower, I could still see where I swatched it. I am very impressed with it, though I haven't used it on my lips yet.

Ipsy can be up or down for me, and this bag manages to be a bit of both. I am over the moon with the Glamglow, Starlooks, and J. Cat, as they are products I've been thinking of trying for ages and/or in colours I enjoy. The hand cream, while terrible ingredients wise, is one of my favourite scents. The eye base is rather disappointing though could technically get used, and the bag isn't going to be used at all. I paid $15 and got $62 worth of items; most coming from the Glamglow. Even without the dubiously full-sized eye base, I got over double what I paid for. So far, this bunny is sticking with Ipsy. Here's to next month!

No comments :

Post a Comment