Sunday, 28 December 2014

Memebox F/W Natural Makeup Review


Box Overview
Box: Memebox (Referral link)
Price: Varies -- typically $23 plus shipping
Ships to: United States, Canada, and over 40 other countries -- check here
What's inside: Korean beauty products. Specifics for each box may be found on their website.


LadyKin Close Up Decuple Shimmering Primer Full Size || Value: $9.90
Beneficial ingredients of note: some plant extracts which may provide antioxidant properties
Detrimental ingredients of note: the same plant ingredients may cause irritation in some, wine extract (halfway through list)
This primer is supposed to be colourless, but was clearly pink on my skin. It was super shimmery, bordering on sparkly, and I can't imagine how this is "natural" in any way, shape, or form. It feels nice enough on the skin but I don't know how I will ever find a way to use it. On me, it's far too pink to be any sort of primer or even highlighter.

Leporem Perfect Whitening Blemish Balm Full Size || Value: $23 (according to card)
Beneficial ingredients of note: N/A
Detrimental ingredients of note: N/A
I didn't open this at all. Almost every single Memebox BB cream I've received to date has been too light for me (NC25ish, Missha #27). Looking at other reviews it seems that this cream is quite light, enough that I can't even bother trying it out. A face three shades lighter than my body =/= natural.

ddung lipstick in DL11 Elegance Beige Full Size || Value: $9.95
Beneficial ingredients of note: N/A
Detrimental ingredients of note: N/A
I was optimistic about this lipstick when I swatched it (see below); it ended up being a nice muted pink instead of a brown nude colour that I absolutely can't pull off. The first time I tried a lip swatch seemed to turn out well, but ever since then the formula has not played nice with me at all. It goes on super patchy and accentuates all of my lip lines. It also smells/tastes strongly of wax. I haven't tried applying this with a lip brush yet, but I can't help but feel any payoff would not be worth my time.

DD'ell Stay Forever Gel Eye Pencil in 04 Espresso Full Size || Value: $14 (according to card)
Beneficial ingredients of note: N/A
Detrimental ingredients of note: N/A
That's more like it! I do have a brown eye pencil, but no gel ones at the moment. This is a nice addition to my collection. It swatched smoothly and while it gives some time to smudge or correct, after it sets it has good staying power. It has just a tiny amount of shimmer to it, but not enough for me to say it's not "natural makeup" looking.


Tony Moly Delight Circle Lens Mascara in 03 Clear Circle Full Size || Value: $2.50
Beneficial ingredients of note:
argan oil, green tea extract
Detrimental ingredients of note
: denatured alcohol (third ingredient, presumably for fast drying)  
Another item actually fitting in with the "natural" theme, this mascara is actually completely clear. I've yet to crack this open, but from what I understand this can be used for various purposes like as an under- or top-coat for other mascaras, to hold a curl without using other mascaras, or as an alternative to eyebrow wax to tame those stray hairs. I'm glad to have something like this just in case.
 
Mustaev Color Powder Starline Opal Full Size || Value: $22 (according to card)
Beneficial ingredients of note: none
Detrimental ingredients of note: none
There's no way this is $22, and if it is, it can't be worth it. This is a beautiful shimmering, sparkly, almost disco-esque loose powder that can be used on the eyes or as a highlighter... but there's no way such a small jar is $22, right? And regardless, it doesn't belong in a natural makeup box. It's one of my favourite items here, though. My only complaint is that the powder gets absolutely everywhere -- opening the jar almost guarantees that you'll get powder on your fingers. It's also difficult to remove. 

Top to bottom: LadyKin primer, ddung lipstick, DD'ell eye pencil, Mustaev powder
In total, I received an estimated $70 worth of product, more or less. I highly doubt some of the prices Memebox gives on the cards, as they are prone to highly inflating prices both on cards and in their own shop. I will only really get use out of the powder, pencil, and maybe the mascara, and I would only count a few items as fitting the theme of "natural". I have mixed feelings about this box, but I think it's better than some of the other makeup boxes Memebox has released.

No comments :

Post a Comment