Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Memebox Minibox #3 Retro Review


What? Another retro review, from back when I had a horrible camera and a box whose items I'm almost done? You betcha. Here I am with a fabulous Minibox from Memebox from the summer.  These were $15 for a handful of sample and deluxe-sample products. I had no idea what theme it was going to be, and it seems the theme was tea!

Box Overview
Box: Memebox (Referral link)
Price: Varies -- typically $23 plus shipping
Ships to: United States, Canada, and over 40 other countries -- check here
What's inside: Korean beauty products. Specifics for each box may be found on their website.


illi Cleansing Oil and Foam Set 15mL/.5oz each + 3 samples each (2mL/0.6oz?) || Value: about $4 (based on card)
Beneficial ingredients of note: N/A
Detrimental ingredients of note: N/A
I can't seem to find the ingredients for this, though I feel fairly certain that I deemed it suitable for my skin when I read the packaging? Perhaps I'm imagining things. What I do know, though, is that this set is/was one of my most favourite things I've ever received from Memebox. The two little bottles are a fantastic size for traveling and a little goes a long way with these babies. I was able to use the pouches three times each. The bottles I used on vacation. They're still half full; I'm hoarding them for the next time I spend a night away from home. They're very easy to use, clean my make up off nicely, and don't leave my skin feeling tight. Next time I use them I'll try and see if I can find the original box so I can translate the ingredients. This may be HG status if the list is good!


A. True Darjeeling First Anti-Wrinkle Cream 10mL/.34oz || Value: $9.20 (based on card)
Beneficial ingredients of note: black tea leaf water (first ingredient), macadamia oil (third ingredient), black tea leaf extract (halfway through list)
Detrimental ingredients of note: a few plant extracts which could be irritating (rehmannia glutinosa root, eclipta prostrata, japanese mugwort, licorice) (halfway through list), fragrance (last ingredient)
Nothing too offensive about this cream. I don't have wrinkles so I can't say I've seen this have much effect, nor do I feel the need to use it very often. It smells fresh. I appreciate A. True for having its touted active ingredient as the first ingredient, unlike some other companies whose advertised ingredient shows up halfway down the list.

A. True Darjeeling Black Tea First Anti-Wrinkle Essence 2mL/.07oz x 5 || Value: $12.50 (based on card)
Beneficial ingredients of note: black tea leaf water (first ingredient), sodium hyaluronate (first half of list), black tea leaf extract
Detrimental ingredients of note: papaya extract (halfway through list), some plant extracts that may cause irritation (sophora japonica, rehmannia chinensis) (last half of list), fragrance (last ingredient)
Oh! I never actually realized that this was much different than the anti-wrinkle cream. This essence has sodium hyaluronate, a fantastic ingredient which helps replenish the naturally occurring hyaluronic acid in the skin. Papaya extract may or may not help with brightening due to its enzymes, but from what I understand research is limited and there is a chance of irritation.


A. True Real Black Tea True Active Essence 30mL/1oz || Value: $8.50 (according to card)
Beneficial ingredients of note: saccharomyces/xylnum/black tea ferment (first ingredient), niacinamide (fourth ingredient), white tea leaf extract (first half of list), shea butter (halfway through list)
Detrimental ingredients of note: fragrance (last ingredient)
This essence is really, really great. I'm halfway through and I've stopped using it because I'm scared to finish it! It's watery but a little thick at the same time. I find it calms my skin down nicely, gives it a glow, and hydrates my skin. I even notice my redness going down. If only it wasn't (supposedly) $51...! 

 

Compagnie Colonial Early Grey Superieur Full Size x 2 || Estimated value: $3
Memebox included some tea! Earl Grey is one of my favourite types of tea. This was super cute of them to include. I appreciate that the bags are filled with relatively unbroken tea leaves; it's clear that this is higher quality than most grocery store brands. It tasted good, but no better than any other loose leaf Earl Grey.

This box was $15 and I got over double in value. This is probably my favourite box I've gotten from memebox, even though all the items but one are from the same brand, which is a usual pet peeve of mine. But this box introduced me to two great brands with products I really enjoy, and with a theme I love (tea!). Unfortunately, Memebox no longer sells Miniboxes. This is just a flash back to better days.

No comments :

Post a Comment