Saturday, 10 January 2015

Retro Memebox Review: Hair and Body 1


Ah, the good old days. When I got so many Memeboxes I couldn't blog about them fast enough and resigned myself to doing "retro" reviews. Complete with grainy photos and all. Here we go! The Hair and Body Memebox promised a range of... hair and body products. The first edition was, in my opinion, the best of the line -- but others weren't bad either (see those reviews later!)

Box Overview
Box: Memebox (Referral link)
Price: Varies -- typically $20-$30 plus shipping
Ships to: United States, Canada, and several other countries -- check here
What's inside: Korean beauty products. Specifics for each box may be found on their website.


Golden Glove Exfoliating Gloves Full size || Value: $16 (according to card)
I love me a good exfoliating glove. This is much better than the one I got in a very old Beauty Box 5 (my first one, in fact!), but I don't like it as much as the ones they sell at Shoppers Drug Mart. It does not exfoliate as well as those, though from the textile I believe they are made very well. I still use them, unlike my BB5 ones which I threw out. They would be good for anyone who finds other exfoliating gloves too harsh, as they do scrub but very lightly. I wouldn't ever pay $16 for them, though!


EVAS RoseMine Perfume Touch Full size || Value: $17 (according to card)
Beneficial ingredients of note: unavailable
Detrimental ingredients of note: unavailable
This is a gel-type perfume that smelled of roses/flowers. The packaging is super cute, but I don't care for rose scents. I've since traded this. One plus: because it's a gel, I could ship it freely! Yay!

Rosapacific 19 Real Neck PT Full size || Value: $3.50
Beneficial ingredients of note: unavailable
Detrimental ingredients of note: unavailable
This is a neck hydrogel mask. It looks a bit like a cartoon dog bone, but fatter. I didn't really find anything special about this mask. It held on well for the first little bit but I remember it being a pain to keep on after maybe ten minutes. It was comfortable enough, but I wouldn't pay $3.50 for this.


Annagaspi Brilliant Body Design Patch Full size || Value: $17 (according to card)
Beneficial ingredients of note: caffeine, green tea extract
Detrimental ingredients of note: menthol, hot pepper extract, orange peel
This is a set of body patches (8 total) that is supposed to "reshape and firm" the legs and feet. From what I understand, the caffeine is the main firming ingredient. It constricts the blood vessels, causing the appearance of firmness. This effect is, of course, temporary. Also, because of the menthol and hot pepper extract, there is a sensation of both extreme burning and/or extreme cooling, depending on the person. Some people may not think this is painful at all. I would compare these to sore muscle patches that heat up the skin. I have not used these because I don't see the point in them.


Zivon Plu Scrub Oriental Jin+ 1.76mL/50g || Value: $25 (according to card)
Beneficial ingredients of note: red ginseng, olive oil, macadamia oil, argan oil
Detrimental ingredients of note: unavailable
This scrub works very well and leaves me feeling smooth and not dry at all, thanks to the oils. The scrub itself is fine grained, though I don't know what material it is made out of. I really enjoy this and have been saving it for days I really want to pamper myself.


Kocostar Nail Therapy Full size x2 || Value: $7.60
Beneficial ingredients of note: shea butter, aloe juice
Detrimental ingredients of note: lemon oil, lime, grapefruit oil (last ingredients)
This is actually a set of masks for the fingertips! In each packet are two rows of paper sheaths that slide over the fingertips. The insides are covered in essence to nourish the nails and cuticles. The sheaths are vaguely sized differently for each finger (the thumb mask is wider than the others, for example). The essence itself is creamier than an average sheet mask. I've used several of these from Memebox, and while they don't make a huge difference, they do moisturize and it's a nice way to pamper myself -- even though it can be frustrating to do things without the use of your fingertips!


SD Hair Steam Hair Pack Full size || Value: $6.90
Beneficial ingredients of note: argan oil, royal jelly
Detrimental ingredients of note: unavailable
This is a hair pack that comes in the form of a hair wrap coated in essence. You wrap the pack around your hair and massage it to coat your hair with the essence. I've actually yet to try this, because I was waiting for a (much needed) haircut -- I didn't want to waste it on gross, dry strands. I finally got one -- so I can't wait to try this, even though I now have much less hair to use it on!


1004 Laboratory Kiss the Perfume Brilliant Hair Treatment Full size || Value: $49 (according to card)
Beneficial ingredients of note: unavailable
Detrimental ingredients of note: unavailable
I'm just finishing this up. This wash-off conditioner smells strongly of cherry blossom but the smell fades quickly. It works as well as any mid-end hair conditioner, and I quite like it! I wouldn't pay almost $50 for it, though. I love the packaging. It feels very solid in the hand and the pump works well.

I supposedly got $140 worth of product from this box, though I highly doubt it's that high -- Memebox loves to inflate prices, but when it's difficult to find the items on legitimate websites, I can't help but go with the price on the card. I would more than likely value this at around $100, which is still a very amazing value. I wish all boxes were this great. I feel that Memebox's value has declined significantly (as you will see as reviews continue). I still think it's a nice place for beginners to go if they feel overwhelmed by the plethora of items offered by sites like Tester Korea or RoseRoseShop. I know I did when I first started. Now I feel much more confident in my taste for K-beauty products, thanks to Memebox. 

No comments :

Post a Comment